Thursday, May 29, 2008

Writing Craft Meme

I always end up on the tail end of a MEME with no one to send them to so I've created one instead of waiting for it to come to me out of the great MEME black hole. I thought it would be interesting to engage other authors about our craft of writing.

1.List one of your writing goals for the month of June and how likely you are to accomplish it.
Mine: Get MOL submitted by June 15 which means finishing the revisions, the synopsis and creating the query letter. Same for FIMB - cause it needs to go to the agent at the same time as MOL.

2.What genre or subject would you like to write about that you aren't currently?
MD: Mystery romance or political thriller

3.What is your writing lifestyle, habits ? How do you manage the interruptions with your writing? HOW do you stay positive? Believe in your writing success?
MD: I always thought that since I get up everyday around 5:30 I'd settle into a morning routine, but it seems that I do best when I get started around 9 or 10am. Part of that is that my INTERRUPTION usually leaves the house around then. So as you can see, I don't manage my interruption very well. I need an office with a door that isn't a main passageway between two tvs and the bathroom.

4.Are you a pantser or plotter?
MD: Absolutely, no question, pantser. LEAH had a great blog the other day which said it to a 'T'. I keep thinking I'm going to outline and plot and interview but once I start writing, most of it goes out the window. I also find that a lot of the workshops are given by plotters which means most of the advice has to be fine-tuned for my pantser ways.

5.Who are two of your favorite current authors and why?
Molly O'Keefe because I'm reading SuperRomance to make sure my submission falls within their guidelines and her book Baby Makes Three was one of the best books in any genre or publisher I've read lately.
Susan Elizabeth Phillips - always - I just finished re-reading Natural Born Charmer. She's just awesome, humor, deep emotion, great plots,sassy heroines, hunky heroes. What more could a girl want for real escape material?

6.How does your family feel about your writing?
My husband is torn between being jealous of anything that doesn't include him and being proud, leaning hopefully to the proud supportive side. He's not into books unless it's a Smoke Jensen western so I understand. My cousin, Pete, who lives in Vietnam was very enthusiastic about my book - he's a sheriff in one of the books in the series - so he's happy to be immortalized.

That's it for me. I'm tagging Leah, Cora, and Dani.

Tag three people.

3 comments:

Cora Zane said...

Happy Thursday, Marley! I'll add your meme to my blog today. ~_^

Leah Braemel said...

Posted my meme this morning ... wow it was LONG!

Cora Zane said...

Mine is up! ;) Leah, I'm gonna have to hop over and read yours.