Friday, December 14, 2007

I love my Macbook


I have had many laptops. Three Fujitsus, two Acers, a Sony, a Toshiba, I think that's it. But I used to trade laptops like I traded cars, every year. The Sony is four years old and the hard drive was making a lot of noise so I decided it was finally time to get a new one.

I made the leap to Macintosh two years ago when IMACs came out with the Intel processor - I purchased a 20 inch IMAC. So this time, I thought why not just go for the Mac laptop? Macs truly are easier to connect to peripherals and wireless networks and they don't tend to have the crashes and slow operation that Windows computers are famous for. And they have built in video conferencing. I used it one time when my critique partner and I were chatting.

My concern was that I might need some of my windows programs. But there's is this nifty new program, Parallels Desktop, that allows you to go into Windows on your Mac and install and use Windows programs, without going through a dual boot type of process. Virtual Windows!

So, I figured it would be the best of both worlds. So far, it has been.

Yesterday, I connected to my printer wirelessly where before I'd been unable to get my Windows laptop to print a document to it and went through a whole lot more setup.

Another big reason I love Macs is my new writing program, Scrivener, which was created for Macs. You can store research, sound files, pictures, organize, write forward, look at a storyboard of your draft, insert keywords to search for later. Just look for Scrivener at www.literatureandlatte.com. Or if you insist on Windows you can find www.celtx.com a Windows based writing program that has been suggested by writers containing some of the same features.

Do something wild and crazy! Next time you're in the market for a new computer, give Apple a try. There's a bit of a learning curve, but well worth the effort.

No comments: