Monday, April 27, 2015

W is for Workspace #A2Zchallenge


 
Picture
Isn't that just the neatest work area you ever saw? I can't seem to make that happen, :)

My workspace below on the right and that's a close in view of where I am actually working right now.

With my day job workload so heavy for six or seven months out of the year, I had to come up with a way to eek out the words to finish book 4 in the Destiny Paramortals series. It's a multi-level approach.

January through March this year were complete loss, then I opened my seasonal business in late March and took a hard look at where I could get time to write and how to accomplish it. I get up early but there's the dog and the hubster and breakfast and anything that can be done on the internet has to be done before 8 which is when my bandwidth is limited in speed and volume. Then once hub leaves to go do his maintenance at SBP, I review my last page of work and decide on my next move.



Then I head to the bathtub with my little 5x6" notebook and my smooth writing navy blue pen. This is where I do my critical thinking.

Who am I kidding? I just fill it with hot bubbly and the characters are standing there waiting to fill my head with the next scenes, the next book, or something new. I can usually brainstorm where the story is going or write forward for about 30 minutes (if the water's not too hot). I'd post a picture of that but it's not a fancy tub or tubdesk or whatever. Now, that gets me around 550-1000 words depending. Then I get out, get dressed for work and head out for my 40 minute drive to work.

Now I have to preface this by saying, it's a long rural drive with fairly straight roads and I can mostly do this without looking... So I spend the middle thirty minutes of the drive writing further on my scene. Sometimes I can accomplish 1500 words in these two little jots of time. If I don't, I can't count on getting anything done at work or when I get home because it's usually after 8 and I'm exhausted and there's the dog, and the hubster...
So this week using this system I've written (I think around 6000 words, 38 pages of small college ruled handwritten notes. More on how I organize those scenes, get them into Scrivener later.

Where do you do your writing?