Monday, April 13, 2015

K is for kaleidoscope #A2ZChallenge



Picture









Objects often have memories attached to them. I have an old blouse of my mother's I wear when I'm thinking about her, a mixing bowl I got from a friend which never fails to remind me of her. So many mundane treasures that someone might ask, "Why does she keep this old stuff around?"

But this little kaleidoscope holds very special meaning. In 2005, my girlfriend and I met in Pass Christian and stayed in a lovely bed and breakfast across the highway from the beach. We ate at a restaurant where they served the lightest most exquisite blueberry pancakes I'd ever eaten. 

We attended at craft fair in Bay St. Louis a couple miles down the road where I purchased the kaleidoscope and visited a darling little book store with rooms for different genres, including a children's room and a kitchen full of cookbooks. It was wonderful. Our last night there we drove along the coast road taking pictures of some of the B&Bs, one in particular, we sat outside looking into the wall of front windows at the couples having wine and laughing, with not a care in the world.

Two months later it was all wiped away. Everything but the memories and the gratitude that we were able to share so many good times in that area before Katrina.


     Do you have things that hold special memories for you? It's hard to let them go, isn't it?

If you're blogging with A2Z April Challenge, leave a comment and your link.

Make a special memory every day.

No comments: