Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Decisions, Decisions













So here there I was last week in the middle of NaNoWriMo, having written almost 15000 words toward a new contemporary when two writer friends said, "Why aren't you entering the GH?" (for the second or third time).

The GH for the oblivious and possibly unconcerned is the Golden Heart contest. The ONE everyone says if you can only enter one, be it the GH. The Golden Heart is for unpublished writers; the contest submission is based on a completed manuscript.

One reason I was passing was that I've been making some changes to my novel and didn't feel I'd be able to generate a polished version of the entire MS by November 15th, the deadline for entries. But I discovered the actual contest entry isn't due in Houston until Dec 2 and the submission is actually the first 55 pages including a synopsis along with one copy of the completed manuscript on disk or hard copy. I said, this I could do. I can get a polished version of my partial and a synopsis together for the GH and get it to Houston by December 2nd. They won't judge the complete manuscript just check to see if it's truly complete.

My primary reason for finally entering was to put a burr under my butt to get my partials done for the requests I had at M&M. (I'd had a setback after returning from Atlanta and found myself dwelling on the issues that need to be addressed.) Even though I forgot I'm traveling to California for my cousin's wedding on Saturday and will most likely lose four days of work, I'm still very glad I entered. The stimulus has been great to get that partial revised and polished.

I'll let you know how I come out on November 29th, the date everything must be in the mail.

7 comments:

Leah Braemel said...

Oooh, congratulations! And good luck!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Leah. At least it's moved me to get my partials and synopsis finished and ready to submit.

Bill Kirton said...

Yes, good luck with it, Marley. I'm not a NaNo fan but I think some competitions are great for forcing us to focus on a specific thing. The GH sounds exactly right. We read the rules, eliminate all unnecessary stuff and just stay on message for the short time we have to. I hope it goes well for you. I must say it always surprises me when you remind us that you're unpublished.

Anonymous said...

Aww, that's so sweet, Bill. Thanks. When I read your blog I'm in awe of the talent out there.

Unknown said...

You don't need luck, Marley. But break a leg, just in case.

LINDA FAULKNER said...

Marley,

The GH is a terrific contest. I entered several times in the late 80s and early 90s and, although I never one a GH, I finalled and made terrific contacts because of that.

You'll do really well, I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

Michael and Linda - I don't know about that, but I'll take your best wished with me when I drop the entries in the mail next week. I'm definitely working hard on it.