Saturday, December 6, 2008

Vertigo

Things can turn on a dime. Friday morning I got up and went to the kitchen to get coffee and I heard a crash in the living room. "Did you drop something?" i asked CFM.

"No, I fell down," he yelled.

Turns out he lost his balance, actually didn't have any. I managed to get him to his recliner - he was so dizzy he couldn't even sit it in unless he was absolutely still.

For a man who's never been sick I'm sure this was terrifying or, knowing him, just terribly inconvenient to have to rely on someone else and not be able to go hunting. (Thank God he wasn't up a tree when the dizziness hit.) Anyway, by the time I got him loaded into the car for the trip to the ER he'd selfdiagnosed his malady as an eye nerve problem affecting his brain, brain cancer, or worse. He said, "I'm not going to handle being an invalid well."

My brain is of course spinning on all this. What will I do if there's something seriously wrong? How could I afford to work and take care of him? How can I pay the bills if I can't work?

For the last ten years or so, CFM has had to take motion sickness pills before getting up under one of our vehicles to change the oil. Otherwise he gets a severe headache and nausea. So when he got dizzy I gave him a couple of of those pills. By the time we got to the hospital he could at least walk with assistance.

Long story short, they did a CT scan and blood work and found out that other than the vertigo, he's still healthy as a horse. The doctor said many people get vertigo this time of year. They come in because they are unable to drive or walk down a hallway without holding onto the wall. "It just wears off eventually," she said. In the meantime, she put him on anti-vert and antibiotics incase it was an ear infection.

While we were waiting on the doctor, they took his blood pressure. It was high. Not surprising, he said, given the situation and his anxiety. I said, "Mine's probably up as well."

CFM says, "Why would yours be up? You're not sick."

IS THAT A TYPICAL MALE OUTLOOK OR WHAT!

No comments: