Leah was blogging the other day about Mac's needing virus protection. I've arranged to protect my Macs but have never had a problem. However, when I was at my friend's computer store the other day he mentioned the multitude of pcs coming in with the Antivirus 2009, or as it's also known - XP Anitvirus 2008, Vista Antivirus 2008, Altimate Antivirus 2008 and System Antivirus 2008.
Computer Guy said Antivirus 2009 is usually promoted via a ZLOB/MediaAccess Codec installer found on adult websites."ZLOB has been thr trojan of choice to infect users with pop ups disguised as system notification that lead to websites with the rogue programs.
What makes it so difficult is that there is no one way this virus is contracted. It has been picked up on websites, through email, through downloads. The virus imitates an actual virus program, sends the user to the web to input their credit card info, ostensibly to purchase the fix, and Voila, they are sunk.
Here are a few ways that you could become infected.
1. The most common reason is you're not protected well enough with virus protection though some of these people were.
2. You might have downloaded a freeware or shareware program (or you're kids did, unbeknownst you! Their bad.)
3. You installed a shared network app. Some peer to peer file sharing programs may come bundled with Antivirus 2009 or other forms of spyware as an add-on software.
4. You visited a questionable website. Clicking on a link could automatically install unwanted software.
5. Someone forwards and email to you or attaches a file.
CG said many people wait too long and the only way to get rid of it is to wipe the PC clean and reinstall everything. So stay protected, these criminals are getting slicker and slicker.
CG said the best thing you can do if you suspect you're infected is unplug, yes, unplug as fast as you can and carry it to your local specialist, or your husband, lol, if he's GG, right Leah?