Saturday, January 12, 2008

2008 The First Twelve Days

I ask myself - How am I coming so far this year with my goals and resolutions.

Well! As far as exercise, and this isn't an excuse, I sprained my left foot in mid- December and the week after that pulled a muscle in my rib, which made exercising pretty much impossible and delivering the mail torture. So I try to remind myself of what I said after January 1. I can't just throw up my hands and say - oh well, I didn't start on time so I'll just wait til next year. No, with the help and gentle pushes from my critique and exercise partner, I will get back on the treads a little at a time until I can do more.

The diet - that's another story entirely. If I ever get back on a regular exercise routine I think it will come together.

December 31st I got my contest entry sent off. Of course, I went to the website for my judge and he had a general statement on what kinds of plots he doesn't accept. Um, mine was one of them. But at least I've sent it out there, I've done my best, I accomplished more than one goal where that was concerned, now I just need to finish the manuscript.

But as I was running the mail route last week a new hero ran in front of my fertile imagination. So of course I had to detour and interview him, research and get a few thousand words down before he escaped. You know what I mean. I'm pleased with how his story is progressing though.

I must keep my eye on my first deadline for 2008 - the Shreveport conference, March 1st. By then, I'm committed to finishing my two currents WIPs, getting my website designed and uploaded, working on my pitches, and helping my critique partner achieve her goals.

Whew, lots to do before then. For a while, I got away from setting goals, but I've always worked better under deadlines, especially self-imposed.

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. As Leah said yesterday, BICFOK. Butt in Chair, Fingers on Keyboard.

See ya, gotta get back to it. (And of course there's the playoffs.)

No comments: