Thursday, May 8, 2014

I remember when my favorite Navy guy said to me, "I'll bet your parents just set you in the front yard with one of those spin wheels and you were delirious." Privately I wondered 'what's wrong with that?' There are so many moments of intuitive communication, glimpses of nature's splendor, or heartwarming seconds in our day that fill me with gratitude and joy.
Like the song from the Sound of Music...My Favorite Things
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens;
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens;
Brown paper packages tied up with strings;
These are a few of my favorite things.
Cream-colored ponies and crisp apple strudels;
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles;
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings;
These are a few of my favorite things.


Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes;
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes;
Silver-white winters that melt into springs;
These are a few of my favorite things.
I was struck by how much the simple pleasures influence us, our writing, our peace of mind. For me, the aforementioned snowflakes, the endless white of fresh snow, colorful balloons suspended over the Mississippi, memories of little Dusty when he was still sweet and cute, and of course, an unexpected call from FNG who is stationed in Norfolk.
What are the simple pleasures that make your day? your minute? How do they make their way into your writing?

No comments: