Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Too Lazy to Exercise?

I think I've made my last excuse.

Maybe six or seven years ago, I watched a report on CNN about a woman who (at a certain age when most people let exercise slide for good) began jogging. On the day when this report was made she was 74. The doctors told her she had the energy, organs and health of a forty year old woman. I'm at that certain age when she began and I've been saying to myself before I pass that certain mark I am going to be exercising on a regular basis. I had a good start and then I broke my little toe. But after seeing this, I'm saying, hey, surely there's exercise you can do to meet that commitment if you want it bad enough ...


Today the news covered an extraordinary woman as she crossed the finish line of the Chicago Marathon, and promptly went into labor.
Talk about a good excuse to skip the marathon.

















And the kicker, her husband couldn't keep up with her; he was actually fifteen minutes behind.

Don'tcha just love it.

Quite an inspiration and yet so many people are speaking out against what she did even though she is fit and had her doctor's support. She's run for along time and during her son's pregnancy as well.

People get a grip! You're just jealous!

8 comments:

Thea said...

I wish I was more athletic. I used to be. But no, I don't think I would have considered running a marathon at 9 mos preggo. I'd more likely fly a kite or look for UFOs - which is what I did at 9 mos. with me own boys. and yes, i really saw a UFO the night before he was born. hmmmm, just a coincidence????

Anonymous said...

Wait, was that a star in the East?

Rock Spring Garden Club said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I'll just bet you did, lol. So you write fantasy, do you?

Thea said...

I live it! On that fateful day I was driving down Route 9 after dusk and I spotted these lights in the distant sky. My older son was with me so I had a witness. As we got closer, it appeared to be a three rounded point ship with lights ringing the border. It hovered over a village next to a reservoir. We couldn't believe it! So I hurried home to get my hub. He refused! to come back with me to see it, thought I was being ridiculous, even though our son confirmed the sighting. Anyway, the next morning, the story was on the news! so hah! he missed it. Then I went into labor.

Bill Kirton said...

I'm rather concerned that the featured element about this fitness thread is the need to be pregnant in order to succeed. It's not an option open to me. But you're right, Marley - do it. The fact that I go for regular bike rides in the early mornings is down to my wife's determination. She gets up at 5.40 every single morning and goes for a run - whatever the weather. It makes it impossible for me to stay in bed and maintain any self-respect, so I get up too.

Belladonna said...

If running leads to giving birth NO THANK YOU! (wait a minute - what's that old saying we learned in stats class? Oh yeah, "Correlation does not equal causation!"

Marcella said...

lol. good point, B