Thursday, September 2, 2010

Poetic License

So what is poetic license? Where did the phrase come from?


According to Wiki it's also known as narrative, historical or dramatic license, ' used to denote the distortion of fact, alteration of the conventions of grammar or language, or rewording of pre-existing text made by an artist to improve a piece of art.' 


I was reading Blue Bloods by De La Cruz yesterday and found an example. The author took a figure from American history, Miles Standish, and gave him a new name for his third life as a vampire leader. Do you have any favorite examples? How about from your own work?


The reason all this came to mind? My search for a pair of silver shoes. 


What's the connection? 


This shoe. Made by Poetic License. 





I've always loved shoes but having a very small, very narrow foot I've never found many that actually fit so I've concentrated on boots for the winter since I can buy a size six and it will stay on my foot with a sock. ;) I do have lots of shoes but mainly, okay here comes the rationalization, I get them on sale and they are half a size too big and I hope they'll work but most don't. 


I can't really relate to paying hundreds or even thousands of dollars for a shoe. But this shoe... what am I to do? I can visualize myself in these shoes at the conference. Would it give me more confidence (I'm also shorter than most people I meet) to be eye to eye with writing professionals? Call me crazy but yes.


A better question. Can I walk in them?


I can't help myself. These shoes are calling out, "order me. How can you lose? There's free shipping. It's only two days pay and you should be able to wear us more than once." Arrrgh!


I'll just have to buy more grey and silver clothing to wear them with.

3 comments:

Cadence Denton said...

Get the shoes...you deserve them and they'll go with so much! Besides they're gorgeous and did I mention they'll go with everything?

Bill Kirton said...

Get the shoes. You'll only say 'If only I'd bought them' if you don't.

As for poetic licence, I think it's essential for all fiction. We're creating different worlds, after all, so we're allowed to distort the things that are 'truths' in the real world.

Anonymous said...

Okay, here's the update. I got the shoes because as Bill said, I'd just be regretting it if it was the shoe that made 'the difference', in whatever. Anyway, I feel like a wonderfully silver-clad Clydesdale. They can't make this shoe small enough to look right on an itty bitty foot. Back to the drawing board.