Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson

I might have known. Michael Malone can definitely pick a good read. A few months ago, he told me about a fantasy series, The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. The first book, Name of the Wind, was a non-stop listen, a four parter from Audible. The release of the second book has been postponed yet again. So I asked Michael if he'd read anything else that good lately.

The good news. He'd just read The Final Empire the first in the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson.
He read it in one day so it promised to be another winner. (You may recognize Sanderson as the author who will finish the Robert Jordan series.) The bad news depending upon your schedule is that he read the last two in the trilogy the following weekend so I knew I was in trouble.

I looked it up on Audible, thrilled to find my favorite male narrator, Michael Kramer, reading the series. He read all the Mark Beamon books by Kyle Mills, his voice lending a decidedly self-deprecating humor to them. I can still hear Kelsior's voice from the first book, oops, no spoilers.

Once you've read it you may want a copy of this poster. The signed copies apparently all sold out but there is one available for $9.99. I have the perfect place for it in my office. http://www.brandonsanderson.com/store/item/39/



I waited before starting the second book, Well of Ascension, because I couldn't afford to get sidetracked last week. But with classes over and the mail route to run, I cranked up the ole Ipod and dived back into the series. I'm two thirds finished. I know I won't be able to put off reading the last book, Hero of the Ages. I'll have to squeeze in some time this week to finish Tempest Rising so I may have to put a slot on the planner for listening to the series. (Forget that, once I started it I was dead. Now, I've got to download the third book and just eat all the chocolate in one sitting.)

If you want to read more about Sanderson's books and listen to a great podcast go here.

Today's Mistborn blog referenced an excellent podcast he did on revisions.
http://www.writingexcuses.com/wp-content/uploads/Writing_Excuses_Episode3-11-Trimming.mp3

Thanks, Michael

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you're more than welcome, Marley.

Bill Kirton said...

I'm setting off on a 2-3 hour drive tomorrow so I downloaded a novel to listen to en route. I just wish I'd read this before I did that. Sounds like good reads/listens. Thanks Marley (and the adorable Michael, of course).