Monday, February 22, 2010

Dreams and Schemes

I used to sing a song by Joni Mitchell - Both Sides Now. I don't know why that song came to mind except for the lines about 'Dreams and Schemes' or 'Tears and fears and feeling proud'. I have all kinds of quotes on my website about dreaming and believing in the possibilities. I dream of getting published. And I've been scheming about having my own computer training business ever since I quit teaching at the local trade school.

I kept waiting to see how many students would sign up so I'd know how many computers to purchase. But the stores were running Presidents Day sales last week so I decided I should just haul off and go for it. The class room is nearly ready. You've heard of when the student is needed the teacher will come, well, this was kind of the reverse - the teacher got ready and now people are starting to show interest. So was this a lesson in commitment, taking risks or just putting your money where your mouth is? Definitely all three.

Anyway, it's done. And I am excited. I've been setting up laptops and loading software. I still have to finish the courses and create handouts, but two weeks from today The Computer Tutor arrives. Wish you were here.

(I know I still owe someone a blog on Scrivener key words. I'll get to that soon, I promise.)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

much success to your new venture!

Bill Kirton said...

I second Michael on that. Good luck with it all, Marley.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, guys

Leah Braemel said...

That's a nice clean environment to have to work in, not too distracting, plenty of elbow room for the students. Looking good!

Thea said...

wow, do you provide room and board for out of town students???? marley, congratulations on this new venture. what classes are you offering?

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Thea. I'm offering Computer Basics, In depth Internet and networking, Excel, Word, Quickbooks, and custom classes for businesses. I'm excited about it.