Sunday, August 2, 2009

BBC offerings


Click here to view the video of the Battle of Mons Graupius and how Alba was born. The beginnings of Scotland.

Wow, I love this site. I was looking for maps to use for the workshop I'm taking on Scottish Otherworld - you know, Faeries, Witches - a map to locate both historical and mystical sites. The instructor of our Scottish Lowlands workshop sent a post about the BBC's Scottish history series which is apparently not available in the U.S. Bummer! But I can go to a bookstore coffee shop - something I abhor (yeah, right) and download episodes, walking tours, podcasts. I know what I'm going to be doing most of August and September.

Well, I'm wrong. Since the series last aired in January 09 I can't download episodes. And it doesn't look like the DVD of the series is available. What a disappointment. Still, lots of great information and visual material here including the zoomable Scottish map on the Reformation and Civil War page!

If you know of a good link for an online pronunciation guide to the Scottish language and for names of towns and people, please let me know. Hopefully, this workshop will put the icing on my world building cake.

Update: Annnnd, if you're not from the U.S. you can't view the video. Too bad. I was so looking forward to it. Maybe they'll produce it on DVD.

No comments: