Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Place of His Own

I sat down next to CFM today to eat my lunch. He has a table on either side of him and it seems I never have a place to put my drink. Today there were two books, one he'd finished, two pairs of glasses, two - TWO - nail files, assorted papers, a wooden monkey pen holder, and two extra remote controls.

I said, how about it you maintain this area a little better. Aren't you finished with this book? So he scoops everything off and puts it on the floor next to his chair (where it will probably remain until I mention that it's on the floor). He says, "With all these tables, I should have one I could keep like I want without you complaining.." and he walked outside.

Hmmm. I thought about that. When he came back in I said, "So you're saying you should have a spot you can leave just like it is forever and never have to straighten it or clean it. Is that what you're saying?"

He said, "If I want."

I said, "Not gonna happen. Just wash that thought right out of your head."

Cave men. I'm telling you they'd be perfectly happy living in a dusty old cave.

1 comment:

Leah Braemel said...

We don't have a lot of space in our family room - I've got a table with a pull out shelf for drinks, etc. But Gizmo Guy only has a tiny little round table that's about big enough to hold a cup and the remote. (His La-Z-Boy is between two doors, his loss)

But Curly's spot in the corner sounds just like CFM. He seems perfectly happy to crawl over whatever messes he left there weeks ago, completely oblivious. And I give him the same answer. Not gonna happen. I'm hoping because I'm starting while he's still young, he'll get the message. But I doubt it.

Good luck on that though.