Friday, June 13, 2008

The Age of Inspiration

A friend of mine told me yesterday that her son who is 8 is writing a series of books. When they are complete he wants them to be sold together like Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc. He killed the main character off in the second book and his son took over.

His mom said, "Honey, that might be kind of violent for a children's book." He said, "Then I'll sell it to teens." Whew. Smart kid. No doubt an author in the making.

It made me wonder when I first began writing fictional stories. I was so steeped in reality and mom rules when I was growing up that I didn't allow myself to write fiction. I read facts about the human body and astronomy. I journaled from the time I could read. I observed, kept track, but didn't comment - that wasn't allowed.

My first time was ten years ago at a creative writing class at the local college when I wrote about our alcoholic home during my teenage years.

When did you start writing fictional stories or to achieve a goal?

1 comment:

Leah Braemel said...

Wow, that's some story about your daddy!

I started writing fiction because it let me escape my real world. It started when I was about 7 and my sister and I would write our own episodes of Star Trek. That's when I realized that you could create things yourself instead of having to live other people's stories. From there I left Star Trek behind and created my own worlds and stories. I remember when I was about 12, my mother came into my bedroom and my bed was covered with drawings I'd done of the place my character lived - the town, blue prints to the house - and asked what I was doing. But I never did show anyone my writing until about 1996 when I finally showed Gizmo Guy. Usually I wrote Narnia or Lord of the Rings type fantasy as a teenager, then progressed to romances, though I never realized that's what I was writing until about four years ago. But since I was about 16, every story had a hero and a heroine falling in love amongst everything else that happened.