Friday, May 16, 2008

What do you do?

When you're away from your office, your computer - how do you move forward with your writing? You have to attend a game with your kids, wait on them at school, help your husband with a project (i.e. sit and watch him do something because he wants company but, of course, isn't interested in talking, just wants a body nearby).

I'd been frustrated that I wasn't able to carry my laptop to the crawfish shack to wait on customers to show up. I decided to carry my notebook, digital recorder, my current read on craft, and a hard copy of some other project. That way when those little spurts of time happen (like while I was waiting on the guys to come in from the field with the crawfish to load) I pull whatever strikes me out of the tote and work on it, make notes, write synopsis, or revise with a red pen and highlighter. Or during the eight hour drive listen to a book on tape and record notes for study later.

What do you do to make use of the small slots of time in your personal life for your writing?

1 comment:

Leah Braemel said...

I carry that handy-dandy little voice recorder an angel sent me ;) And I also carry a notebook. However, mainly I write scenes in my head and hope I'll remember them. Sometimes they sound a lot better in my head than on paper :(