Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Ever After


Happy. What exactly does that mean? Do we want a successful, blissful, perfect, or just different year from 2007? I must have said Happy New Year to at least 50 people yesterday before, during and after my mail run. But what was I wishing them? And what did they desire for themselves for the coming year?

Abraham Lincoln said, "Most people are about as happy has they set their minds to be." There's a lot of truth in that. We can choose to think that our life starts anew on the first day of each year but we all know that in reality, it begins again every time we set our minds to a new start, a new challenge, a new goal. Why can't we start dieting successfully on Feb 28th, or quit smoking on July 15th, or renew our goal to publish within six months on September 3rd?

Our designs on 2008 are as varied as our individuality, our circumstances and our dreams. Of course I could probably nail my fellow writers' wishes for this year. The published want to publish another one, and unpublished simply want to get published. I sincerely wish you all get your sweetest desires this year.

My desire is to treat each and every day forever after as my new year. To begin today to make lasting changes and renew them as often as it takes to make them a part of my life so that I will be able to look back at January 1st next year and say, "So far so good."

Happy Ever After!

On second thought, what's wrong with chandeliers? I plan to start taking a few risks, what about you?

1 comment:

Leah Braemel said...

Happy New Year, Marley!

You're right that we shouldn't wait for a specific day, or assume we can't start a change at any point in time of our choosing. I think that's why I've never made a big deal out of January 1st that others do. Life's too short to have to wait an entire year ...