Saturday, November 3, 2007

Writer's block

I think I had my first real experience with writer's block Thursday, Nov 1 - the first day of NaNoWriMo. It reminded me of PMS in that it affected my mental state and everything else I did.

Burned the catfish for lunch, my biscuits didn't rise, put the wrong ingredient in hubby's pork n beans, my mind just wouldn't cooperate. So, I worked on easy stuff, excel spreadsheets, binder inserts for a work related project, paid a few bills, got my blog up and running. It was creative in a different way.

I didn't recognize the problem until I got away from it. I simply couldn't put one word down in any form related to the project I'm supposed to be working on.

Hubby noticed just like he used to in the days of the 'dragon' that my mood was - shall we say- somewhat antagonistic. Even then I didn't realize what was going on within. He's a good barometer. So, I set it aside until yesterday which made a big difference. Between my blog entry and my writing project I wrote 2900 words. Yes!

It's like a 12 step program, one day at a time. Total for Nov: 2300

1 comment:

Leah Braemel said...

I simply couldn't put one word down in any form related to the project I'm supposed to be working on.

That was me yesterday. Kept staring at the paper and hadn't a clue where to go. LOL about all the stuff in the kitchen going wrong - my method of knowing if dinner is done is the smoke alarm going off!