Friday, November 9, 2007

Plans go awry

That's what happens when you plan and think in your arrogance - I have this all worked out, no problem, nothing will interfere.

Yesterday I told my critique partner, Leah, that I was going to do 10,000 words today to make up for the four days of interruptions, work, and other projects inconveniently showing up on my doorstep. My motto was - just do it. Roll up those sleeves.

I got up at 4:45am, turned on the computer as I headed to the kitchen to flip on the coffeepot. Washed my hair and watched a few minutes of news with My Hero. I got to work at 5:55. I closed my office door planning to write about 5,000 words at least before I had to run an errand.

My Hero came through the office door the third time about 6:20. I asked him if he wanted to run the errand with me which should only take about 45 minutes and I could get back to my plan. He agreed and at 8:30, said he would go fishing for about 45 minutes. I returned to what I was doing - editing. Editing what we'd worked on a during our workshop, editing what I did yesterday. This was not the plan. Decreasing word count. Sure, it's better, tighter but now it's 11:00 and my..er...hero hasn't returned and I have to leave.

Seven hours and only 200 net words.

I can hear everyone laughing.

There was a young guy in the service department of the car dealership where I used to work. I was having continual problems getting a supplier to change out my battery. Thoroughly frustrated, I looked at him and asked, "Isn't anything ever easy?"

This 21 year old looked at me with 85 year old eyes and said, "Should it be?"(eyes-crossed)

Okay, so I'll keep plugging and hope I wind up with a positive change in word count today at least. I know someone can relate.

** Hubby said well, 200 is better than nothing. -sigh- That was so sweet, and kind of unexpected.

1 comment:

Leah Braemel said...

Oh, dear. When you said 10,000 words in last night's conversation, I was hoping you were joking. And I think I replied rather sarcastically "Good luck with that" or something to that effect. 10,000 words over a few days maybe. In one day? I've only ever had that happen to me once in about 5 years. And I was completely inspired that day. I've heard of people who can write really fast. I'm just not one of them. I've written 2100 words today and it took me from 10 a.m. to 2:30 ... word by struggling word.

The first thing you have to do is: STOP EDITING!!!

Do whatever you have to so you can't go back to the previous scene. If you find yourself scrolling back up to stuff you've already written, then copy the beginning of the scene to a new doc and work on that and only that. Do NOT let yourself flip back to the original doc until you've reached your goal.

Also, close your internet down. Don't check your email. Don't read other people's blogs. And definitely don't turn on your IM programs. Even if you have to research something, just leave a note in your first draft saying [check on this later]. My first drafts are full of that. That can be your work in the evening or whenever you don't normally write.

If you can manage it, don't even answer your phone or the door. Unless it's someone yelling 'Fire'!

Don't give up though. Your hubby's right. 200 words is 200 more than you had yesterday. Just keep moving forward.